Re: [Exim] weird From: line with diacritics

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Petr Eech
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] weird From: line with diacritics
On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Petr Eech wrote:

> I thought it was only for 8bit logs and was not effecting other parts.

It is central to a test for "is this a valid printing character" so it
affects anything that Exim tests for this.

> > generates* conform to RFC 822.
>
> by using '?'. ewww

That code is among the earliest that I wrote for Exim, back in 1995. I
didn't know much about character sets in those days. Was the escaping by
text such as "=?iso-8859-2?Q?Petr_=C8ech?=" even defined then? I didn't
expect to find non-printing characters in password files, and, as I
said, I did expect the MUAs to generate the From: lines, so this was
"backstop" code. Converting to ? was just a cheat for what I thought
would almost never happen.

Obviously I was wrong. This isn't the first time!!

> > Noted. It currently says, in section 46.14, "In all cases the user name
> > is made to conform to RFC822 by quoting all or parts of it if
>
> it's not quoting them, it's mangling them. That is, what I don't like.

I know! I know! I do see your point.

I will put this on the Wish List - but won't look at it till I've
finished the book. However, to escape like "=?iso-8859-2?Q?Petr_=C8ech?="
Exim would need to know what the character code was. How can it find
that out?