[Exim] Switching over from qmail

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Marcus Schneider
Para: exim-users
Asunto: [Exim] Switching over from qmail
Hello everyone.

As I am new to this list and also failrly new to exim please tell me if I do
something wrong in regard to this lists netiquette :-)

At the moment I am thinking of switching my completely qmail-based system to a
hybrid of exim and qmail-pop3d.
What I liked on qmail was - with the help of vpopmail - the ease of use and
administration in regard to virtual domains. What I did not like was the
inflexibility in configuring the smtp-server, which is rather important to me...
And as I can not afford a big change in directory structures and administrative
details I really would like to know, whether the following could be done via
exim and - if yes - if somebody could give me some hints on how to do it or
where to find fitting information:

The qmail approach to virtual domains is no to use different filenames for
adressing, aliasing or forwarding. I.e. imagine the following directory
structure:

/popserver/[domain1|domain2|...|domainN]

each of these virtual domains directories holds files which are called
.qmail-username1 to .qmail-usernameN and one file called .qmail-default

These files tell qmail what to do with emails adressed to the user refered to
in the username[1..N] portion of the filename.

If it is local delivery then there is no file of that format but just a subdir
named after the local portion of the receiver adress.

If it is aliasing then the content will be like
'./<alias_local_portion>/Maildir'

If it is forwarding then the content will be like '&forward-name@forward-domain'

If it is an autoresponder then the file will have to lines like
'| var/qmail/bin/autorespond 10000 5 \
/popserver/<domain>/<autoresp_name>/<message file> \
/popserver/<domain>/<autoresp_name>
&target@???'
(The first line will pipe the mail to qmails autorespond facility and the
second is forward to the autorespond owner)

The default file again is a pipe to a vpopmail-process...

At the moment my solution looks the way that I pipe everyting that goes into
exim and is identified as local directly into the qmail-inject prog, which does
the job in conditions of low load - but if there is much traffic things go
slowly or break :-(

As far as I can see I would need one director to decide whether it is direct
delivery, aliasing or forwarding. But I am completely clueless on how to do
that because I have not seen a possibility in the docs of using different
transports depending on conditions.
Another thing I see is that I could do a skipping of a director and jumpiong
over to the next one if a certain condition is not matched (directory not
there, no '&' in a '.qmail-username'-file etc.) But I also did not see a
solution to that.

Thanks for any answer

Marcus