Re: [Exim] qualifying and rewriting

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Jethro R Binks, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] qualifying and rewriting
On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Jethro R Binks wrote:

> > Ideally, we'd like all outgoing mail to be of the form
> > I.N.Bloggs@???, and all incoming mail to be addressed the same,
>
> You are asking for trouble, IMHO, assuming there are several thousand
> addresses involved. Real life names are not unique.

I entirely agree, and we may be moving to a more sensible solution at
Cranfield at some point. I would like unique ids that contain absolutely
no volatile information.

Volatile information includes status (staff, student, etc), department,
school, name (it appears that many people change their names upon marriage
and divorce), sex (under some definitions this is volatile). NI number
(not everyone has one). And so on. I also want ids that tie to natural
persons and not to user accounts or roles.

My strategy for achieving this has been to whinge. It has not been a
successful strategy.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                +44 (0)1234 750 111 x 2826
 Cranfield Computer Centre      FAX         751 814