[Exim] Exim 2.05 & spam prevention

Author: Tor Houghton
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Exim 2.05 & spam prevention
Hi,

I am already using the "realtime blocking list" provided by vix.com, and I
do see quite a few "hits" in my reject file. However, with a domain name
like mine, it's not surprising to get a bagload of spam.

Recently there has been an increase in posts with
"To: Friend@???"; what is the best way to prevent this?

Can I use "sender_reject_recipients" for this?

From the FAQ, it seems to be the thing to do:

-- FAQ --

Q0811: How can I set up the sender_reject option in my config file so I can
reject mail by matching regular expressions?

A0811: You must either put the regular expressions directly in the option
setting, or in a file that is referenced by a plain file
name, or use an @@ type of search. If the regular expressions match the
domain as well as the local part, then the first two
approaches are the only possible ones. For example:

         sender_reject_recipients = ^.*\.spam\.com$ : ^.*@[0-9]+\.com$

or

         sender_reject_recipients = /some/file

Each line of the file is treated as if it were an entry in the list, and
must begin with ^ if it is a regular expression. No keys are
involved because this is not a lookup,

If you are using version 2.10 or later, the first of those regular
expressions can be rewritten to execute much more efficiently by
using lookbehinds and once-only subpatterns:

         sender_reject_recipients = ^(?>.*$)(?<=\.spam\.com)

See the manual section entitled "Address lists" for a description of the @@
type of split domain/local part lookup. See also
Q0801.

-- END --

Best regards,

Tor Houghton