Re: [Exim] rewrite rules, uucp bang conversion, and orbs

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Randy Bush
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [Exim] rewrite rules, uucp bang conversion, and orbs
On Sat, 22 Jan 2000, Randy Bush wrote:

> so, where is the bit about how to restrict which rewrite rules are applied
> to what mail?

There currently isn't. The rewrite rules are applied to every message,
on arrival. I intended them as a means of tidying up local addresses
(e.g. turning ph@??? into P.Hazel@???, not as
a means of routing, and I wasn't planning on supporting bang paths at
all.

The check for "is this address local?" for incoming relay checking
happens before the rewrite, so a rule such as

>     # system*!user@???
>     ^([^!]+)!(.*)@psg\.com        $2@$1        Tbcrtq

means that any incoming address of the form a!b@??? is treated as
local, and therefore accepted; the rewrite then makes it non-local,
thereby causing a relay loophole.

> the S flag says do it for smtp, but they seem to be
> applied anyway.

The S flag causes a rewrite to be done on incoming SMTP addresses
*before* the check for relaying, etc., so it closes this particular
security loophole. So if you add S to your rule, things should be
better. In fact, if the incoming addresses are

MAIL FROM:<a!b>

(i.e. unqualified) you actually need the rule

because S rewriting happens before qualification as well.