Re: [Exim] rewrite rules, uucp bang conversion, and orbs

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Peter Galbavy
CC: Randy Bush, exim users
Subject: Re: [Exim] rewrite rules, uucp bang conversion, and orbs
On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Peter Galbavy wrote:

> I am not sure if this is a useful one or not, but I gave up on rewrite rules
> because while they were very flexible, and mostly human-logical, I found
> that I can get a better level of control by using directors (never used
> routers, but I guess the same applies) and where I need to rewrite an
> address I will match a smartuser director with a condition (or other
> matching) and do a new_address rewrite there.
>
> Probably less efficient (Phil?) but more predictable.

My personal view of re-writing is that it should be used mainly as a
mechanism for "canonicizing" ("standardizing") addresses in your local
domains, and *not* as a means of routing. Put another way, I don't
recommend using the T flag on rewrite rules as a routing mechanism. (If
you want to route by rewriting, there is always s*ndm**l. :-) So, I
personally agree with your approach: I would always do mail routing
using directors and routers, not by rewrites. I doubt that it makes much
difference to the efficiency.