[Exim] DNS lookup by default, why?

Author: Chan Cao
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] DNS lookup by default, why?
Hi all.

I was looking at a debug output and found that the "A" records I put
in my /etc/hosts are not looked up by Exim. Digging further, it seems
that DNS is used by default. There must be some wisdom here that all
venues of host lookup aren't included automatically. I'm tempted to
include the gethostbyname option in the lookuphost router but it seems
I'd lose MX processing. I feel I don't have flexibility here...could
someone explain? Thanks.

gethostbyname

    Type:    boolean
    Default: false

    If this is true, the gethostbyname() function is used and the options
    relating to the DNS are ignored. Otherwise, the name is looked up directly
    in the DNS. Of course, gethostbyname() may do its own DNS lookup for an A
    record (no MX processing is involved), but it may also access other
    sources of information such as /etc/hosts.

Chan