Re: [Exim] Stopping loops

Author: Chris Knipe
To: Vadim Vygonets, Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Stopping loops
Hi...

Paul has quote a good point here. I would like just to change the senario a
little bit. Lets blame the cause of this (should it ever happen), on bad
administration, unauthorised access to the servers, or user maintained email
aliases, but consider the following spamming environment....

Two accounts, say account A, and account B. Now lets look at the loop :)

Account A forwards mail to Account B, ASWELL as spam@???
Account B forwards mail to Account A, ASWELL as spam@???

.forward would look like:
accountb@???
spam@???

While none of the accounts has to be located on the same machines or
anything as such, spam@??? is going to get a awefully lot of mail,
especially should there be added a 1MB attachment to the email that will
"infinately?" loop through Accounts A and B. For every successfull loop,
spam@??? gets 2 email messages. What happens when you put in 5
addresses in the loop? or even 10? 10MB of email, through one loop, and
then you keep it running for a few days, and you can even take out complete
servers with this, should hard drive space run out on the server (1GB of
email in one mailbox?). Something which can be quite destructive hey? Or
is it perhaps allready protected?

... Just thought I'd share this piece of information with you all. It is
most probably known, but quite a huge ammount of spam can be generated from
it, and with the talk of mail loops, I just thought I'd drop a note and add
this to the discussion :)

Regards
Chris