Re: [Exim] Stopping loops

Author: Vadim Vygonets
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Stopping loops
Quoth Paul Walsh on Mon, Dec 20, 1999:
> Local user X.YZ@??? has a Hotmail address X_YZ@???
> Within MS Outlook on their PC the user sets up Out of Office Assistant to
> forward all mail to X.YZ@??? (note they've got the address wrong).
> Mail to X.YZ@??? gets redirected by Outlook to X.YZ@???.
> Hotmail rejects the message because of a non-existant address and sends it
> back to X.YZ@??? which gets redirected to hotmail ad infinitum

First, Hotmail should generate bounces with empty return path <>.
Second, it should not generate bounces for messages whose return
path is <> (empty). But I think that's not the problem.

Probably the problem is that the Outloop Out of Office
Assistant[tm] changes the return path of the message when
redirecting it to Hotmail.

> Question is: What can be done within Exim to either a) stop this happening

Make the assistant redirect messages without changing the return
path. In this case, Hotmail's bounces will go to the original
recipient. LART MICROS~1 or stop using Outloop and use .forward
files instead.

The quick solution is to change the said luser's Outloop
configuration, of course.

> or b) queue messages for, say, hotmail.com and only process them every few
> hours?

Hmm. That's tricky. You can probably do it using custom
routers.

Vadik.

--
Prof:    So the American government went to IBM to come up with a data
         encryption standard and they came up with ...