Re: [Exim] Replacing sendmail on RH 6.0

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Stuart Children
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Replacing sendmail on RH 6.0
On Sat, 13 Nov 1999 11:24:38 +0000 (GMT), Dr Andrew C Aitchison
(A.C.Aitchison@???) wrote:

> Usually /var/spool/exim/ is used for mail in transit (incoming and
> outgoing mail that has been recieved but not yet delivered) and
> /var/spool/mail or /usr/spool/mail (sometimes the 2 are sym-linked
> together) is used for mail that *has* been delivered.

Not the way I've got exim configured. Mail that had been completely
delivered to local users sits in /var/spool/exim, not /var/spool/mail.
This is how I want it to behave. There is no, and hasn't been, a
/usr/spool heirarchy on this machine (not even a symlink).

> Your shell or similar "knows" to look in /usr/spool/mail/$USER.

But how?
    $ echo $MAIL
    /var/spool/exim/dr_claw
that's the shell variable that needs to be set, and again, it's what I
want - not /var/spool/mail.

> I think you want to restore your pine setup, and change the exim
> setup so that
> SPOOL_DIRECTORY=/usr/spool/mail
> or
> SPOOL_DIRECTORY=/var/spool/mail

The mail isn't there though. Exim is (completely correctly - as I have
configured it) delivering mail to /var/spool/exim. If I let Pine look in
/var/spool/mail, then it won't find anything. I guess Pine is compiled to
look in /var/spool/mail on RH systems. I've changed its config and it's
fine now, and I'm happy with that.

The problem is the program that looks to see if you have any mail when you
login (and so reports "You have new mail." or "No mail.". Can someone
please let me know what does this, and how it is configured (if it needs
to be be recompiled, that's no problem). It is looking in
/var/spool/mail, which is no longer the correct place on my system. I've
been suggested symlinking /var/spool/mail to /var/spool/exim, and this
works fine. I'm not completely happy however, as I like to know why
things are behaving as they are.

TIA,

- Stuart -