Re: [Exim] maildir Vs. mbox

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: yann.golanski
Para: Richard G. Duvall
CC: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] maildir Vs. mbox
Quoting Richard G. Duvall (Fri, Oct 22, 1999 at 05:23:57PM -0700)
> Okay, default for (x)NIX is to store email in a bindir mbox (ie,
> /var/mail/username). I have changed to a double hashed spool bindir (ie,
> /var/mail/u/s/username) because of disk IO issues, and it helped ALOT!
> Now, I am setting up RAID 5, and want to make the system run as
> efficiently as possible with the type of hardware I have, for 50,000
> users. Very few users are using imap to check mail.

I've added an option to exim called nhash. It does a div/mod operation
on the username and split it into directories. You give it two numbers
(say 10 and 100} and it will split according to a clever hash. Thus your
dir struct will look like:
    /var/mail/[0-9]/[0-99]/username

> Does anybody have a clue which is better? Seems to be a religious issue
> with programmers. Which is better for exim and pop3 combination?

At Planet we are using a maildir formate, and it works very well
indeed with about 1.8 million users ;>

--
Yann Golanski                                  Internet Systems Developer
yann.golanski@???                    The Planet Online