Re: [Exim] Strange idea...

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Mike Richardson
A: Tomas Fasth
Cc: Vadim Vygonets, exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Strange idea...
On Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 05:02:57PM +0200, Tomas Fasth wrote:
> Vadim Vygonets wrote:
> > Quoth Mike Richardson on Fri, Oct 01, 1999:
> > > I'm considering writing mailing list/bulk mailer type software (legit
> > > use only I hasten to add) and want to integrate it as closely to exim
> > > as possible.
> >
> > I thought about writing a mailing list manager on top of exim
> > (using lookups, databases, and other things), but exim wasn't
> > really built with these things in mind and it lacks some
> > features. Extraction of e-mail addresses from headers was not
> > atomic, and there was some issue with splitting local part from
> > the suffix. Maybe I'll get around to it one day. And then I'll
> > need to ask Philip for favors.
>
> Hm, I wonder, what is it you guys are missing in list software today
> that is better solved by having something integrated with (or merged
> into) Exim? I'm kind of curious, because I have had Mailman and Exim
> teaming together for quite some time now, and I fail to see any
> obvious reason for doing it differently. So please tell me, what is
> your catch in this?

I've not found any list software which does exactly what I want
but that is actually another story. In this case merging the list
manager and exim isn't about functionality but as a way of implementing
a redundant system. In addition my new mailing list software would
need to be able to log much more specific information (tied in closely
with the MTA) than any do at the moment. Thus being able to combine
log information from the MTA, the list expander and user management software
and even a web server would be a fundamental part of the design.

Mike
Copyright 1998 Mike Richardson, Rm G100D, Manchester Computing
University of Manchester, M13 9PL. doctor@???, 0161 275-6009
"If I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you!" - Chuck Norris
"If anything happens to my daughter I have a 45 and shovel" Clueless