Re: [Exim] Strange idea...

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Vadim Vygonets
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Strange idea...
Quoth Mike Richardson on Fri, Oct 01, 1999:
> I'm considering writing mailing list/bulk mailer type software (legit
> use only I hasten to add) and want to integrate it as closely to exim
> as possible.

I thought about writing a mailing list manager on top of exim
(using lookups, databases, and other things), but exim wasn't
really built with these things in mind and it lacks some
features. Extraction of e-mail addresses from headers was not
atomic, and there was some issue with splitting local part from
the suffix. Maybe I'll get around to it one day. And then I'll
need to ask Philip for favors.

> I envision a database backend which stores everything,
> similar to mailman, including, I hope, log output from exim.

I have a dream! That one day!

> My plan involves abolishing the use of data files completely. All of
> it would be done with scripts and a database.

Err, it may be a problem to add things to and remove things from
living databases, probably. I don't think Exim can do it.

And another thing: I tried to do it with as little scripts as
possible. But then, I needed to remove some headers and add
others. And implement mailing list moderation. Which was not
trivial.

> (Plug for Philip: the course was great - I recommend it to anyone and not
> just for the food.)

Yup! And I recommend everyone to go to England for the ales.

Vadik.

--
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own
cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as