Re: [EXIM] Exim logging by means of syslog(3)?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Harald Meland
Cc: exim-users
Temas antiguos: Re: [EXIM] Exim logging by means of syslog(3)?
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Exim logging by means of syslog(3)?
On 10 Jul 1998, Harald Meland wrote:

> How Exim logfile correlates to syslog(3) level (everything is logged
> to the LOG_MAIL facility):
>
>   main    ->    LOG_INFO
>   reject    ->    LOG_DEBUG
>   panic    ->    LOG_ALERT

I was looking through the Wish List and thought perhaps I should do
something about syslog (at last), so I looked up the old messages on the
subject and read "man syslog".

It would be very easy to add two new options to Exim as follows:

syslog_only         write logging lines to syslog only
syslog_also         write logging lines to syslog and normal log files

but there are some choices to be made. I think using the facility
LOG_MAIL is clearly the right thing, but:

(1) I agree with choice of LOG_INFO and LOG_ALERT suggested above, but
not with LOG_DEBUG, because that is described as "Messages that contain
information normally of use only when debugging a program". The only one
that seems reasonble for rejectlog is LOG_NOTICE - "Conditions that are
not error conditions, but that may require special handling". The
rejectlog, however contains copies of message headers. Writing these as
separate lines could cause them to get interleaved in syslog, possibly
causing confusion.

(2) What to do about lines longer than 1024 characters. They could just
be chopped, or written as multiple lines, with the continuations
starting with some identifying string such as "...".

(3) Should the pid be included in every logged line? Judging by the
syslog entries I've looked at, this will mess up the alignment at the
start, but may be necessary to disentangle multi-line log entries.

(4) Presumably Exim's date/time should be chopped off.

Views, please.