[Exim] Re: Partly solved: Strange line break problem and bro…

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Christian Dysthe
A: nic
Cc: Exim-users
Asunto: [Exim] Re: Partly solved: Strange line break problem and broken attachment s (Postilion and exim)
On 18 Aug, Nic Bernstein wrote:
> On 18 Aug, Christian Dysthe wrote:
>> I had "Send via" set to "User defined program", and sending program set
>> to "/usr/lib/sendmail". I use exim as MTA, and have used the same
>> setting when I used XFmail as MUA without problems so I assumed
>> Postilion would work happily with it as well, but no.
> <snip>
>> I do not have sendmail itself installed, and do not want to risk messing
>> up my system by installing it to test this. Maybe someone else with
>> sendmail as MTA can do it?
>
> I do not understand. If you have the sending program set to
> /usr/lib/sendmail, and you do not have sendmail installed, then how is
> the mail being sent? Does exim masquerade as sendmail? Please explain.

Yes, exim is supposed to masquerade as sendmail. I have always used
sendmail commands with exim without problems.

>> I then changed "Send via" to SMTP, and set SMTP host to "localhost".
>> Problem solved. The line breaks are normal, and all attachments gets
>> through unbroken.
>>
>> Still, something isn't right when it comes to using the "User defined
>> program" setting and the sendmail command. This might only have to do
>> with Postilion and exim though, and might not apply when sendmail is
>> the MTA.
>
> I use the command "/usr/lib/sendmail -oi" and it works just fine.If
> exim is masquerading as sendmail, it should produce exactly the same
> results as sendmail - or it is not masquerading properly.

I have used the command /usr/lib/sendmail -i. Just now I tried -oi but
the same problem came returned. As I said, this might have to do with
the Postilion/Exim combo. I do not blame Postilion, but the fact remains
that Postilion doesn't work with exim like some other mailers do for some
unknown reason.

Again, I do not know why this happens, just that it does and that it is
the first time I have had problems with exim's sendmail masquerade
functionality.

> The fact that Postilion works when sending direct, and when sending
> with sendmail, would indicate to me that Postilion is not the problem.

I am cc'ing this mail to the exim mailing list to see if anyone there
knows if there are problems with exim's sendmail masquerading.

>     -nic
> --
> Nic Bernstein                                  nic@???
> PGP public key                 http://postilion.org/nic/key
> All opinions expressed are mine, if you want them it'll cost you.

Regards,
Christian Dysthe
E-mail: cdysthe@???
Web: http://oddbird.dyndns.org/cdysthe/