Re: [Exim] Re: Partly solved: Strange line break problem and…

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Christian Dysthe
A: Philip Hazel
Cc: nic, Exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Re: Partly solved: Strange line break problem and broken attachment s (Postilion and exim)
On 18 Aug, Philip Hazel wrote:

> What was the original problem? You mention line breaks. Is this
> something to do with CR and LF? When Exim accepts non-SMTP mail, it
> expects to be sent a normal Unix file on its standard input, with lines
> terminated by LF, just like in all Unix text files. If Postilion is
> using some other convention (e.g. CRLF) to terminate lines, then because
> Exim is 8-bit clean, you'll see the CRs as data. In SMTP input, of
> course, Exim expects CRLF terminators, because that's what RFC 821
> specifies for the SMTP protocol. There doesn't seem to be any standard
> for "within-same-machine" message transfers, though common sense
> suggests it should be the usual conventions of the operating system.
> Does sendmail document this anywhere? There's nothing in the docs for
> Solaris sendmail.

The original problem was that mail when it arrived using Postilion and
exim often had long non broken lines which made mail hard to read.
Also, attachments was broken when they arrived. People got an error
message when trying to open my attached files.

> Many MUAs work happily with Exim: Pine, Elm, MH to name but a few. There
> must be something subtle going on here.

The ones I have used before has worked fine: XFmail, elm and pine. By
using "smtp" and "localhost" settings in Postilion I have now solved the
problem with my outgoing mail. I just wanted to point out that there is
a problem buried here somewhere, and I would like to be able to use the
"User defined program" setting in Postilion if I can. I will NOT switch
to sendmail though. exim is a superior MTA in my opinion, and it has
never failed.....yet! :)