Re: [EXIM] Odd problem with Exim 3.02

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Philip Hazel
To: Andrew M. Inggs
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [EXIM] Odd problem with Exim 3.02
On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Andrew M. Inggs wrote:

> I experience similar problems with 2.05 on SGI.

Thanks for the info.

> What happened in my case was that when Exim calls itself to run the
> queue, the new invocation uses the built-in path for the config file;
> it is not passed the -C option again.

I've just looked at the source for 2.05, and it seems to pass the -C
option from the daemon. The problem that Dean Brooks was hitting has now
been solved; he had compiled Exim without setting EXIM_UID, but had set
exim_user in the runtime configuration. A newly-invoked binary called
from the daemon (running by this time as exim) decided it wasn't
privileged enough to use -C for real, so abandoned its root privilege.
It has to make this check before reading the configuration file.

> My solution was to copy the
> binary and `vi -b' it and change the configure_filename and exim_path
> (search for "Space to patch" in the binary). Well, you can recompile if
> you like :-).

That is a reasonable approach if you are happy with doing that kind of
thing.

> Please let me know if this solves your problem. If it does, perhaps
> Philip could you put a warning in the manual under the section entitled
> "-C <filename> option"?

I have already made a note to put in a warning not to use -C (or -D) to
start a daemon unless you have set EXIM_UID in Local/Makefile.