Re: [EXIM] Comments from a new-ish user.

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Hugh Sasse
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Comments from a new-ish user.
On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Hugh Sasse wrote:

> However, there were a few things that I think could be made clearer.

Thanks for taking the time to make the comments. I'll try to bear them
in mind for the next edition.

> The documentation says you can use
> regular expressions to match hostnames, but I could not find anything
> explicit about using them for IP address specs, so I didn't do that.

I suggested providing this facility when we were discussion the revision
of the domain, host, and address list syntax for 3.00. It got pooh-poohed
on the list ("Whoever would want to do that?") so I did not implement it.

I suggested the following as one of the possible forms of an item in a
host list:

. If the item starts with net-^ (e.g. net-^(10|11)\.) it is a regular
expression to be matched against the textual form of the IP address.

It would not be difficult to do if there was a genuine demand for it.