Re: [EXIM] Remove attachments

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Remove attachments
On Fri, 4 Jun 1999 16:12:03 +0100 (BST), you wrote:
>On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Marc Haber wrote:
>> I'd like to see some way of piping entire messages through an
>> arbitrary filter. This would faciliate removal of attachments, virus
>> scanning, QP-to-8-bit-conversion and a bunch of other things. This
>> mechanism should have possibilities to generate notification messages
>> for both sender and recipient and to optionally fail delivery for a
>> single or all recipients.
>
>That is *exactly* what a transport filter can do -

but on a per-recipient basis

>except that it can't
>easily fail the message because it's happening far too late.

:-(

>> Maybe some kind of transport that doesn't do any deliveries but passes
>> the message through some processing?
>
>That's called a pipe, isn't it? It would be dead easy to make Exim pass
>all messages except those flagged in a special way to a pipe.

Exim's pipe feature only works as the "exit" of a delivery. What I am
looking for is a way to have a pipe as intermediate processing step
early in processing (when a message still can be failed).

>It could
>pass back modified messages for delivery. See Q0823 in the FAQ.

I strongly believe, that palandt, one of "my" mail hosts, was the
first machine ever to run this mechanism. Sven Paulus built it for me
and either him or me submitted that piece of configuration for the
FAQ. I am merely looking for something more elegant. You pointed out
in December 1998 ("transport_filter and suppressing delivery") that
I'd really want to use a system filter for that kind of processing.
But obviously, I neither have access to the full body in a system
filter-invoked perl script nor can it fail the message.

Greetings
Marc