Re: [EXIM] Remove attachments

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Marc Haber, Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Remove attachments
On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Marc Haber wrote:

> I'd like to see some way of piping entire messages through an
> arbitrary filter. This would faciliate removal of attachments, virus
> scanning, QP-to-8-bit-conversion and a bunch of other things. This
> mechanism should have possibilities to generate notification messages
> for both sender and recipient and to optionally fail delivery for a
> single or all recipients.

That is *exactly* what a transport filter can do - except that it can't
easily fail the message because it's happening far too late.

> Maybe some kind of transport that doesn't do any deliveries but passes
> the message through some processing?

That's called a pipe, isn't it? It would be dead easy to make Exim pass
all messages except those flagged in a special way to a pipe. It could
pass back modified messages for delivery. See Q0823 in the FAQ.

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> Also changing the message size dramatically could have interesting
> effects - if you do this within an SMTP transaction then the size
> changing could upset things - I guess you need to turn off ESMTP.

It wouldn't matter much if you *reduced* the message size, I suspect.