Re: [EXIM] Remove attachments

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Milos Prudek
CC: Marc Haber, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Remove attachments
On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Milos Prudek wrote:

> > Out of the box, exim doesn't interfere with message bodies at all. It
> > should, however, be a breeze to use a perl system filter to tamper
> > with attachments.
>
> Could you lead me a little more? I know some perl, so I can write code
> that would look into mailboxes and remove attachments, but I'm not sure
> where such a filter would be started. My first thought was to start it
> from crontab and make it run through /var/spool/mail, but there must be
> a better way. Thanks for any help!

You can't really tamper with the body of a message in a system filter.

Either

(a) You could do all local deliveries by piping to some program or
script which did what you want. You would have to take care to do your
own mailbox looking, or alternatively pass the message back to Exim,
flagged in some way, for delivery. This is rather like some
virus-checking schemes that people have set up. See FAQ Q0823.

(b) You could write a transport filter for the local delivery transport.