Re: [EXIM] strange behaviour with remote SMTP

Author: Microwave Systems Eximlist Exploder
To: Anand Buddhdev
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] strange behaviour with remote SMTP

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Anand Buddhdev wrote:

> I have a message stuck in my exim's queue. The recipient
> is: melvin_holt@???
>
> However, I get the following:
>
> # exim -v -M 10kacx-0005Zf-00
> delivering message 10kacx-0005Zf-00
> LOG: 0 MAIN
> == melvin_holt@??? R=lookuphost defer (-1): host lookup
> did not complete
> #
>
> # nslookup -q=mx smtp2.irm.r9.fws.gov
> Server: localhost
> Address: 127.0.0.1
>
> *** localhost can't find smtp2.irm.r9.fws.gov: Non-existent host/domain
>
> # nslookup -q=a smtp2.irm.r9.fws.gov
> Server: localhost
> Address: 127.0.0.1
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:    smtp2.irm.r9.fws.gov
> Address:  164.159.176.125

> I tried exim -d9 -M 10kacx-0005Zf-00:
>
> [snip]
>
> lookuphost router called for melvin_holt@???
> dns lookup: route_domain = smtp2.irm.r9.fws.gov
> DNS lookup of smtp2.irm.r9.fws.gov (MX) gave TRY_AGAIN
> smtp2.irm.r9.fws.gov in dns_again_means_nonexist? no (end of list)
> lookuphost router deferred smtp2.irm.r9.fws.gov
> message: host lookup did not complete
>
> [snip]
>
> Any idea what might be wrong. I realise this might be a DNS issue, but I
> just want to confirm it's not an exim problem.

Exim always looks for an MX record before looking for an A record. If
the MX record query gives a valid response, saying there is no MX
record, _THEN_ it looks for an A record.. If the query for the MX
record returns an error or times out, then exim doesnt look for an A
record.

Something is definately wrong with the DNS.. I am trying to query
myself, and am getting a "server failed" response:

# dig @164.159.176.1 smtp2.irm.r9.fws.gov mx

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> @164.159.176.1 smtp2.irm.r9.fws.gov mx
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 10
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      smtp2.irm.r9.fws.gov, type = MX, class = IN

My thoughts would be that the mostly likely cause of the problem is an
invalid record in the zonefile for that domain..

I have often seen where something like leaving the MX-priority out will
cause a DNS server daemon to fail like this..