[EXIM] strange behaviour with remote SMTP

Author: Anand Buddhdev
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] strange behaviour with remote SMTP
I have a message stuck in my exim's queue. The recipient
is: melvin_holt@???

However, I get the following:

# exim -v -M 10kacx-0005Zf-00
delivering message 10kacx-0005Zf-00
LOG: 0 MAIN
== melvin_holt@??? R=lookuphost defer (-1): host lookup
did not complete
#

# nslookup -q=mx smtp2.irm.r9.fws.gov
Server: localhost
Address: 127.0.0.1

*** localhost can't find smtp2.irm.r9.fws.gov: Non-existent host/domain

# nslookup -q=a smtp2.irm.r9.fws.gov
Server: localhost
Address: 127.0.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    smtp2.irm.r9.fws.gov
Address:  164.159.176.125

I tried exim -d9 -M 10kacx-0005Zf-00:

[snip]

lookuphost router called for melvin_holt@???
dns lookup: route_domain = smtp2.irm.r9.fws.gov
DNS lookup of smtp2.irm.r9.fws.gov (MX) gave TRY_AGAIN
smtp2.irm.r9.fws.gov in dns_again_means_nonexist? no (end of list)
lookuphost router deferred smtp2.irm.r9.fws.gov
message: host lookup did not complete

[snip]

Any idea what might be wrong. I realise this might be a DNS issue, but I
just want to confirm it's not an exim problem.

--
System Administrator
See complete headers for address, homepage and phone numbers