Re: [EXIM] expansion contains non-printing characters?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Hans-Georg v. Zezschwitz
CC: michael, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] expansion contains non-printing characters?
On Thu, 6 May 1999, Hans-Georg v. Zezschwitz wrote:

> > Not at present. There probably ought to be an expansion operator called
> > "escape" which converts a string into all printing characters. As there
> > is already a function in Exim to do this job, adding the operator should
> > be easy. I will look into it.
>
> I don't get the point yet.

(1) I think it might be a generally useful function to have, not only
for use when generating headers, but in other cases when you want to be
sure you have only printing characters.

> What is this function doing?

(2) Turning non-printing characters into escape sequences such as \n for
newline, etc. With print_topbitchars set, this will apply only to codes
less than 32.

> If you'd like to convert those ugly things like german umlauts in the
> headers to something meeting the definitions of RFC 822, you should
> use the methods of RFC 2047. However, this requires knowledge about
> the charset in which the sender sent his 8-bit-characters. While
> this is mostly ISO-8859-1 in the western european area, it would
> still be just some kind of assumption the MTA is making.

Oh, quite. I don't want to get fancy like that. As I said, I think the
whole 7-bit thing is a fantasy. However, problems with characters less
than 32 can be real.