Re: [EXIM] expansion contains non-printing characters?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: michael, Hans-Georg v. Zezschwitz
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] expansion contains non-printing characters?
On 5 May 1999 michael@??? wrote:

> I got the following error message:
>
>     Expansion of "$header_subject" in t_helpdesk transport contains non-printing characters

> It looks like a user might have sent a mail with a special character in the
> subject. Is there any way to fix that problem besides removing text = ?

Not at present. There probably ought to be an expansion operator called
"escape" which converts a string into all printing characters. As there
is already a function in Exim to do this job, adding the operator should
be easy. I will look into it.

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Hans-Georg v. Zezschwitz wrote:

> Did you set the "print_topbitchars"-option to true?

In fact, this wouldn't have affected this particular check.

> A number of MUAs send 8-bit-headers.

This contravenes RFC 822, and will cause picky MTAs to reject such
messages.

On 6 May 1999 michael@??? wrote:

> I do not have this option set, but I would not like to have 8-bit chars in the logfiles.

8-bit characters in log entries should be converted to escape sequences.