Re: [EXIM] expansion contains non-printing characters?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: michael
CC: gvz, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] expansion contains non-printing characters?
On 6 May 1999 michael@??? wrote:

> > > A number of MUAs send 8-bit-headers.
> >
> > This contravenes RFC 822, and will cause picky MTAs to reject such
> > messages.
>
> Sounds good. :) Can exim be made this picky?

No, I'm afraid not.

And if it were, it would have to reject the message after the end of the
data had been received (i.e. after the terminating '.' line). This is
well-known not to cause all remote MTAs to give up - they just keep
trying to deliver.

Besides, it seems to me that you are more likely to achieve what the
user actually wants by just delivering the message. TCP/IP has always
been an 8-bit transport medium; the 7-bit mail restriction is, IMHO, an
anachronism (and always has been!)

The reason Exim does these checks in the autoreply transport is to
prevent the headers it creates from being messed up by things like
newlines in the inserted data.