[EXIM] retry timeout-error

Author: Johann Spies
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] retry timeout-error
Hallo,

I am new to this list and have a problem that I don't understand:

For the last week or more I have experienced a strange problem on my mail:
retry timeout-errors on certain mail.

I have a dialup system to my ISP ans is using exim as mailagent on a
Debian 2.0 system.

What is strange to me is that this error is very "selective" eg. I sent
mail to a list of 41 people and when I do a mailq a few minutes later
(before I dialed in to the ISP) the following shows (the list is shortened
to save some space):

  1.7K 10f0Yy-0001iX-00 <jhspies@???>
          aabasson@???
        D CMarais@???
        D HJBC@???
          conni@???
        D johanzac@???
        D vdberg@???
          barry1@???

Only the messages with the D got the time-out error and I have no idea
why.

In the /var/log/exim/mainlog I find the following:

1999-05-05 14:14:10 10f0Yy-0001iX-00 == HJBC@??? R=smarthost
defer (-1):
1999-05-05 14:14:10 10f0Yy-0001iX-00 == CMarais@??? R=smarthost
defer (-1):
1999-05-05 14:14:10 10f0Yy-0001iX-00 == aabasson@??? R=smarthost
defer (-1):
1999-05-05 14:14:10 10f0Yy-0001iX-00 ** CMarais@???: retry timeout
exceeded
1999-05-05 14:14:10 10f0Yy-0001iX-00 ** HJBC@???: retry timeout
exceeded
1999-05-05 14:14:10 10f0Yy-0001iX-00 ** johanzac@???: retry
timeout exceeded
1999-05-05 14:14:10 10f0Yy-0001iX-00 ** vdberg@???: retry
timeout exceeded

Is there anybody who knows exim well that can help me please?

Johann

| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@???                3201 Pietermaritzburg             |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310               Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love
      thy neighbor, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto
      you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do
      good to them that hate you, and pray for them which
      despitefully use you, and persecute you;"
                                     Matthew 5:43,44