[EXIM] Pausing local deliveries temporarily

Author: Eelco Vriezekolk
To: Exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Pausing local deliveries temporarily
Hello,

I am changing the directory in which local mailboxes are stored, and I
would like to pause (halt, delay) local deliveries while I am busy
moving maildrop files around.
At the moment, my Exim accepts email for about 50 different domains.
Each domain has an associated file called this.domain.com.alias
containing lines like:

customer000: /var/spool/mail/customer000
customer001: /var/spool/mail/customer001
...etc...

(for email addresses customer000@???).

I would like to edit these alias files, then move the actual maildrops
to their new location, all without having to worry that Exim is
attempting deliveries at the same time as well.

What I am trying to achieve is that delivery is paused. Messages should
not be returned to the sender (creating unnecessary confusion), and they
should not be frozen either, because manually unfreezing each message
would be a big pain.

Anybody have an idea how this could be done easily?

If it can't be done, is it then perhaps possible to somehow freeze all
local deliveries, and then do a mass thaw lateron?

If none of this is possible, my only option is to shut down Exim
altogether for the duration of the change-over.

Thanks!
--
Eelco Vriezekolk, eelco@???
Postmaster and systems administrator, UUNET Internet Africa (Swaziland)