Re: [EXIM] DynamicIP Spam Sources List (DSSL)

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
CC: Greg A. Woods, Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [EXIM] DynamicIP Spam Sources List (DSSL)
On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, Exim Mailing List Subscriber wrote:

> In message <m10bSgJ-000g5eC@???>,
> woods@??? (Greg A. Woods) wrote:

> >How's the ordinary user to choose between them...
>
> If possible, try programming your mail server to check both lists,

I am sort of doing this. I am using MAPS, DUL and DSSL. In that order.
Assuming that exim checks them in order, than anything on DUL will get
logged in the reject log as a DUL hit, whether or not it is also
on DSSL. So, with my set-up, DSSL only gets credit for the things that
the others missed.

Given that, I am still running about about 8/1 DSSL/DUL hits (that is
distorted by some of multiple tries in quick succession. On some days, I
may get no DUL hits at all, but get several dozen DSSL hits. It may be
that spammers know more or less what is on DUL and not enough sites are
using DSSL for them to try to stay ahead of that list. But for whatever
reason, DSSL is blocking a lot more incoming to Cranfield than DUL.

There was one false positive which had already been fixed by the time I
reported it.

Yes, I wish that the DUL and the DSSL people would work together better;
I also which that Mark Crispan (Pine and UW-IMAP person) would get along
better with Richard Stallman and we would have a GPLed Pine. I wish the
the W3 Consortium behaved more in line with Internet draft proceedures, I
wish lots of things. But none of those personality problems stop me from
doing an extra DNS query to use both DSSL and DUL. I will change the
order so that I do DSSL first, and then if I don't get any hits on DUL,
I'll drop it. But for the time being, I've got another DNS query per
incoming message. At the moment, I can handle that.

-j
--
Jeffrey Goldberg                +44 (0)1234 750 111 x 2826
 Cranfield Computer Centre      FAX         751 814