[EXIM] Archiving and logging mail *from* a local user

Author: Peter Lister
To: exim-users
CC: Peter Lister
Subject: [EXIM] Archiving and logging mail *from* a local user
My boss normally Fcc's each outgoing email from his MUA(s) as a
confirmation that he sent it and to keep file copies, but has had the odd
problem with command line mail (and several with Netscape). For important
stuff he occasionally asks me to check logs to see if the email has
genuinely been sent.

I would like to be able to have Exim give him a log and/or archive of sent
email (preferably a subset, e.g. all non-local deliveries) sent from his
account and to put it directly in a folder in his home directory. I trust
Exim to get this right far more than I trust any MUA - plus I'd like to be
able to configure this independently of MUA.

Staff workstations, his included, send all email to our mailhub, so mailq
on his machine doesn't show any waiting email. Enabling him to run mailq
on the hub is not sufficient; he really wants to check positively that
something *has* been sent when he wants rather than seeing the absence of
an email on the queue, or waiting for Exim to email him back about a stuch
email. The workstations and mailhub shares home directories, so we can
process .forward in a sensible manner; for *incoming* messages that just
how I'd do this...

Section 45.2 of the 2.10 manual describes "Taking copies of mail" and
automatic notification of delivery "for sites that insist on doing such
things" - rather implying that this is A Bad Thing; but what I'm after is
getting the information which goes into the exim log and passing the user
a copy under certain circumstances, which doesn't seem a terrible wrong.
I'd like something similar (e.g. to auto-Fcc outgoing email destined for a
specific list to an appropriate email folder).

I'm nervous about setting a system filter, given the dire warnings
about significant deliveries, but I can see no other way to intercept
outgoing emails (i.e. relayed from the local domain). For novices, it
would reassuring to have a director switch...

always_send_to_intended_recipient

...so that I could set up system filters confident that I won't black hole
all outgoing emails by inadvertantly delivering an archive copy.

If anyone has a system filter which does The Right Thing or a near miss,
I'd be very grateful. If it's relevant...

Exim version 2.11 #3 built 4-Feb-1999 22:39:22

Ta,

Peter Lister         P.Lister@???    PGP (RSA): 0xE4D85541
Sychron Ltd          http://www.sychron.com  PGP (DSS): 0xBC1D7258
1 Cambridge Terrace  Voice: +44 1865 200211
Oxford OX1 1UR  UK   FAX:   +44 1865 249666