Re: [EXIM] Archiving and logging mail *from* a local user

Author: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
To: Peter Lister
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Archiving and logging mail *from* a local user

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Peter Lister wrote:

> My boss normally Fcc's each outgoing email from his MUA(s) as a
> confirmation that he sent it and to keep file copies, but has had the odd
> problem with command line mail (and several with Netscape). For important
> stuff he occasionally asks me to check logs to see if the email has
> genuinely been sent.
>
> I would like to be able to have Exim give him a log and/or archive of sent
> email (preferably a subset, e.g. all non-local deliveries) sent from his
> account and to put it directly in a folder in his home directory. I trust
> Exim to get this right far more than I trust any MUA - plus I'd like to be
> able to configure this independently of MUA.
>
> Staff workstations, his included, send all email to our mailhub, so mailq
> on his machine doesn't show any waiting email. Enabling him to run mailq
> on the hub is not sufficient; he really wants to check positively that
> something *has* been sent when he wants rather than seeing the absence of
> an email on the queue, or waiting for Exim to email him back about a stuch
> email. The workstations and mailhub shares home directories, so we can
> process .forward in a sensible manner; for *incoming* messages that just
> how I'd do this...

How about a wrapper for exigrep that shows his entries on the hub exim
logfile ? It might need to be set[ug]id exim or similar, and you would
need to consider whether he might need to do back beyond the current
logfile.

Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna