Re: OFFTOPIC was Re: [EXIM] (un)blocking dynamic IP address…

Author: James FitzGibbon
To: Chris Bannister
CC: Nigel Metheringham, exim-users
Subject: Re: OFFTOPIC was Re: [EXIM] (un)blocking dynamic IP addresses [Was: A way to do this?]
* Chris Bannister (chris.bannister@???) [990421 07:04]:

> Are we discussing ISPs or Free ISPs? I think there is a huge
> difference. I pay my ISP monthly... they have a billing address for
> me and my bank details. If they wish to contact me they can. If I
> caused trouble they can close my account and refuse to set another
> one up. However if the only verifiable detail my ISp has about me is
> my CLI number then it's a great deal harder and the measures that you
> suggest are reasonable.

Most ISPs (even those that you pay) are so desperate for signups that they
will activate your account before doing a full verification of information
like banking information. You can call them, have an account in 10 minutes,
spend the next 36 hours spamming, and then when you are cut off, call back
with different information and start all over again. This is called a
"whack-a-mole" account, since every time you hit them on the head they pop
up somewhere else like the carnival game.

At one of my employers, we chased a single person for 9 months while they
did this.

--
j.

James FitzGibbon (JF647)                                        james@???
EHLO Solutions                                       Voice/Fax +1 416 410-0100