OFFTOPIC was Re: [EXIM] (un)blocking dynamic IP addresses […

Author: Chris Bannister
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users
Subject: OFFTOPIC was Re: [EXIM] (un)blocking dynamic IP addresses [Was: A way to do this?]
On 21 Apr 99, at 10:51, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> I'm not exactly unbiased - I implemented this policy for freeserve and am
> *very* proud of it....
>
> To put this in perspective, if you are working off a dynamic IP, then the
> ISP has the duty to make sure that you are behaving yourself since other
> people cannot just filter/block you out. If you want to be a full net
> citizen with proper mail handling etc then you get yourself a full
> connection with your own address space.
>
> With Freeserve (and other dial up services) the choice is that they
> block port 25 outgoing, or redirect it. The former is the easiest and
> most secure, FS went for the more difficult route that allowed people to
> continue using products or configurations that wanted to send mail
> directly, but allowed control of the idiots that want to cause trouble.

Another option of course is to use static IP addresses. However I
can think of only one ISP in the UK who does this as standard.

[Nigels Comment Snipped and replied to One Item]

Are we discussing ISPs or Free ISPs? I think there is a huge
difference. I pay my ISP monthly... they have a billing address for
me and my bank details. If they wish to contact me they can. If I
caused trouble they can close my account and refuse to set another
one up. However if the only verifiable detail my ISp has about me is
my CLI number then it's a great deal harder and the measures that you
suggest are reasonable.

--
Chris Bannister - chris.bannister@???
Junior Systems Administrator, Dowding & Mills Plc.