Re: [EXIM] (un)blocking dynamic IP addresses [Was: A way to …

Author: Steve Lamb
To: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [EXIM] (un)blocking dynamic IP addresses [Was: A way to do this?]
On 20 Apr 1999 08:19:44 -0000, michael@??? wrote:

>If all mail runs through the ISP's mail system, then it leaves traces
>in logs and the tech support can tell customers, who complain that mail
>"does not work", what exactly happened with email, e.g. that it never
>reached the ISP. :)

    This is a bogus arguement.

1: If someone is sending mail direct, they obviously set up their machiine to
do that and are well aware that it is not hitting the ISP. IE, they would
not be calling into their ISP in the first place for a problem they would
know is either on their side or the other side, assuming, of course, it is
not a matter of a lower layer (IE, bad modem/cable/dsl/isdn connection).

>happy if it worked nevertheless. As soon as you have a larger number
>of customers, avoiding tech support calls by making sure things work
>even for stupid users saves money and makes users happy.

    Again, stupid users won't be sending direct.  Stupid users have a hard
enough time configuring the pop/smtp servers on an MTA much less a full blown
MUA.  When I was taking tech/sales calls in the ancient times (over a year
ago) people would ask, "What is a shell account?"  My short answer was to
politely tell them, "If you don't know what it is, you don't need it, trust
me on that."  I'd then explain it to them, it would go over their head, they
would agree with me and sign up.

    Same concept here.  If people are mailing direct they obviously have
enough clue to seperate themselves from the herd and won't be calling into
tech support of their ISP for a problem they know is on their end.  Unless,
of course, the ISP is redirecting.  :)

- --