Re: [EXIM] (un)blocking dynamic IP addresses [Was: A way to …

Author: Chris Bannister
To: michael
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] (un)blocking dynamic IP addresses [Was: A way to do this?]
On 20 Apr 99, at 8:19, michael@??? wrote:

> I do not redirect port 25, because I want users to be free to send mail on
> their own, but most people use that for spamming through open relays.

They do? Where are the figures that you base this assumption on?
Anyone running an open relay deserves any problems they are having.
There are guides for every MTA I have seen to secure the relaying to
those hosts/networks you wish to provide relaying.

> Then
> there's a bunch of people who simply can't get their smart host right,
> because they don't understand some windows form. They would be happy if
> it worked nevertheless.

I know I would prefer to know that I have f*cked up and need the what
I am doing is wrong. So next time I do it I can set it up correctly.

> As soon as you have a larger number of customers,
> avoiding tech support calls by making sure things work even for stupid
> users saves money and makes users happy.

All it does is upset clueful users who can set up there mail servers
and adds a layer of things to go wrong. Currently when a mail from
my system fails to be delivered the only things I have to check are
routing to the destination, my mail server and the other ends mail
server.

If my ISP redirected my port 25 connections, I'd have to contact them
to find out a) if the router that is doing the redirection has
failed, and b) if there mail server has failed. I'd rather not have
this extra layer of hardware/software to contend

--
Chris Bannister - chris.bannister@???
Junior Systems Administrator, Dowding & Mills Plc.