Re: [EXIM] (un)blocking dynamic IP addresses [Was: A way to …

Author: michael
To: exim-users, vadik
New-Topics: [EXIM] Legal implications
Subject: Re: [EXIM] (un)blocking dynamic IP addresses [Was: A way to do this?]
> > Not only that
> > but these are policy decisions that end providers *must* be *free* to
> > make on their own.
>
> Nobody wants to take this freedom from ISPs, but I prefer my mail
> not to be redirected. They may _advise_ me to send the mail
> through their box, but I don't want them to push me to comply to
> their decisions.

If all mail runs through the ISP's mail system, then it leaves traces
in logs and the tech support can tell customers, who complain that mail
"does not work", what exactly happened with email, e.g. that it never
reached the ISP. :)

I do not redirect port 25, because I want users to be free to send mail
on their own, but most people use that for spamming through open relays.
Then there's a bunch of people who simply can't get their smart host
right, because they don't understand some windows form. They would be
happy if it worked nevertheless. As soon as you have a larger number
of customers, avoiding tech support calls by making sure things work
even for stupid users saves money and makes users happy.

Michael