Re: [EXIM] clarification on use of LMTP

Author: Stuart Lynne
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] clarification on use of LMTP
In article <19990418185958.G17062@???>,
James FitzGibbon <james@???> wrote:
>* Stuart Lynne (sdjl@???) [990418 18:12]:
>
>> More specifically I'm using this to deliver to the Cyrus IMAP deliver program
>> which has an LMTP mode. I.e. it can accept a in incoming LMTP connection and
>> deliver mail to mailboxes. By using LMTP it can accept or deny messages on
>> a per recipient basis. This allows it to deliver mail that it can. But refuse
>> any that it cannot. Which in turn means that it does not require (for example)
>> any queue or scheduling. These functions are pushed back into the MTA that is
>> feeding it.
>
>> For testing purposes I hacked the deliver program to accept the SMTP syntax as
>> well. I.e. HELO and single status. Then setup exim to do delivery of single
>> addresses only. Works fairly well. Moving to LMTP would allow me to attempt
>> delivery of a single message to multiple addresses.
>
>I've used Cyrus (1.5.2 I think) and deliver was just a program that took a
>message on STDIN. Have they made it a full daemon now ? If so, then

No, but they have made it so that you can (for example) call it from inetd
and it will accept messages using LMTP over the connection.

>changing the smtp transport as you describe is feasible. I wonder though if
>it's a wise idea if there are many other transport agents out there that
>only accept piped input. i.e. saying "Exim supports LMTP" may give users of
>binmail and smtpfeed or mail.local the wrong idea.

Well LMTP is a network protocol. You can't use SMTP over a pipe either.
And LMTP is ESMTP with very minor changes.

>From the abstract:

    Although LMTP is an alternative protocol to ESMTP, it uses (with a few
    changes) the syntax and semantics of ESMTP.  This design permits LMTP to
    utilize the extensions defined for ESMTP.  LMTP should be used only by
    specific prior arrangement and configuration, and it MUST NOT be used on
    TCP port 25.

--
Stuart Lynne <sl@???>      604-461-7532      <http://edge.fireplug.net>
PGP Fingerprint: 28 E2 A0 15 99 62 9A 00  88 EC A3 EE 2D 1C 15 68