Re: [EXIM] clarification on use of LMTP

Author: Philip Hazel
To: James FitzGibbon
CC: Stuart Lynne, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] clarification on use of LMTP
On Sun, 18 Apr 1999, James FitzGibbon wrote:

> I've used Cyrus (1.5.2 I think) and deliver was just a program that took a
> message on STDIN. Have they made it a full daemon now ? If so, then
> changing the smtp transport as you describe is feasible. I wonder though if
> it's a wise idea if there are many other transport agents out there that
> only accept piped input. i.e. saying "Exim supports LMTP" may give users of
> binmail and smtpfeed or mail.local the wrong idea.

I think we have to distinguish "LMTP over TCP/IP" and "LMTP over
file-descriptor". The former could no doubt be done by a flag in the
smtp transport. However, given the existence of the latter, I think I
would prefer to have an entirely separate lmtp transport which handles
both cases via some suitable options, e.g. you set either

lmtp_command = xxxx

in order to run a pipe, or you set

lmtp_hosts = list of hosts to try

I guess port= would be needed too. Maybe only a single host is needed.
That would simplify the code quite a lot.