Re: [EXIM] Silly Question

Author: Tabor J. Wells
To: Exim
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Silly Question
On Wed, Apr 14, 1999 at 07:19:21AM -0400,
Peter Radcliffe <pir@???> is thought to have said:

> Paul Mansfield <paulm@???> probably said:
> > It might also be that the connecting host is really really dumb, and
> > basically picks whatever the first MX record it finds in the DNS
> > lookup response. I've heard that some versions of MS software only
> > handle two MX records anyway, can anyone confirm this?
>
> I've found mail software braindead enough to send mail to any record
> for a domain, even NS records, so I'm sure theres software around
> that'll just handle a small number of MX records ...
>
> P.

Yup.

]# telnet shore.net 25
Trying 207.244.124.201...
Connected to shore.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
554-This machine is not a mail server. If you are receiving this
554-it is because your mail server does not know how to use DNS
554-to deliver mail to the MX records for Shore.Net instead of the A
554-record. Please contact your ISP and have them fix their mail
554 server. If you have any questions, please contact support@???

Since midnight:

# grep no.mail /var/log/secur/wrap.info | wc -l
    100

The current one hitting the hardest is:

]# telnet 203.207.200.56 25
Trying 203.207.200.56...
Connected to 203.207.200.56.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 xj.cei.gov.cn Sendmail 5.x/SMI-SVR4 ready at Wed, 14 Apr 1999 22:22:44
+0900

I'm willing to bet that the 5 attempts we get every few minutes from that
host are spam through an open relay.

Tabor

Tabor J. Wells                                             twells@???
Systems Administration Manager  Just another victim of the ambient morality
Shore.Net  --  High quality Internet access and hosting services since 1993