Re: [EXIM] VRFY and smartuser

Author: Philip Hazel
To: V. T. Mueller
CC: eml
Subject: Re: [EXIM] VRFY and smartuser
On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, V. T. Mueller wrote:

> with exim 1.92 a VRFY command fails for any local part whose mail is
> beeing routed to a remote address by means of a smartuser director.
>
> Example:
>
> telnet mail.local.com 25
> VRFY postmaster
> 220 mail.local.com ESMTP Exim 1.92 Tue, 6 Apr 1999 15:39:25 +0200
> 551 Not a local domain
> quit
>
> given a smartuser like:
>
> postmaster:
> driver = smartuser
> local_parts = "root:abuse:webmaster:postmaster:daemon:webserv:exim:pop"
> new_address = postmaster@???

If you did it by means of an alias, then it would be handled locally and
VRFY would be happy. The use of new_address is sort of like a temporary
rewrite, so it thinks it is handling a remote address.

> exim appears to VRFY the value of new_address. Shouldn't it reply a "250
> Deliverable" instead, assuming that the remote MTA is set up correctly and
> that the remote address does exist?

I'll investigate and see if there's a simple fix. Personally, I've never
thought VRFY to be a useful feature. It was added to Exim only when
people insisted.