Re: [EXIM] VRFY and smartuser

Author: V. T. Mueller
To: Philip Hazel
CC: eml
Subject: Re: [EXIM] VRFY and smartuser
On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, V. T. Mueller wrote:
> > with exim 1.92 a VRFY command fails for any local part whose mail is
> > beeing routed to a remote address by means of a smartuser director.

[..]

> If you did it by means of an alias, then it would be handled locally and
> VRFY would be happy. The use of new_address is sort of like a temporary
> rewrite, so it thinks it is handling a remote address.
>
> > exim appears to VRFY the value of new_address. Shouldn't it reply a "250
> > Deliverable" instead, assuming that the remote MTA is set up correctly and
> > that the remote address does exist?
>
> I'll investigate and see if there's a simple fix. Personally, I've never
> thought VRFY to be a useful feature. It was added to Exim only when
> people insisted.

Hello Philip,

That's what I think, and *I didn't define smtp_verify voluntarily*:
The french NIC only registers zones that have passed their test script
which insists on VRFY'ing the DNS contact as well as postmaster.

That's braindead imho (there are even more screwed up things in that
script!), but I can't change it.

So, rather than asking for anything than a simple fix I will manage the
problem with aliases for those addresses.

Thanks for the answer
& best regards,
Volker
  Volker T. Mueller      Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet  Freiburg im Breisgau
  Student der Informatik    vtmue@???  +49 761 355-03 -80(fax)

          "Wer unter euch meint, weise zu sein in dieser Welt,
          der werde ein Narr, daß er weise werde."  1.Kor 3,18