Re: [EXIM] Header rewriting rules

Author: Philip Hazel
To: davidj
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Header rewriting rules
On Tue, 23 Mar 1999 davidj@??? wrote:

> Lets say we have a company, that has a real world email address
> of "bogus@???". They are using a bogus domain, "bogus" for
> internal company mail.
>
> All inbound mail to this company from the real world, goes into
> "bogus@???", and gets put into an account called
> "internet.mail@bogus" on their local server. All outbound mail will
> come from "user@bogus", to be rewritten as "bogus@???".
>
> I initially setup two rules in exim, as below
>
> *@bogus            *            TtbcsqQRFfrs
> *@*            bogus@???    Ffrs

> This works with outbound and internal company mail. But when mail comes
> inbound (picked up via fetchmail), the senders address gets changed
> to "user@bogus" which is obviously a product of the first rule.

I'm not sure I really understand exactly what you want to do, but there
is one general comment to bear in mind. Sometimes people are tempted to
use rewriting as an alternative way of routing mail. (Possibly because
that is sort of the way sendmail works.) This isn't always the best way
of doing things in Exim. You could, for example, set up suitable
directors to place mail to bogus@??? into a specific mailbox
without actually doing any rewriting at all.

Obviously for outbound mail you will have to rewrite.

Q1003 in the FAQ addresses the problem of rewriting outbound mail and
not internal mail. It isn't an easy answer, because a single message may
contain both internal and external recipients, and Exim wasn't designed
to operate in this kind of environment, I'm afraid.