Re: [EXIM] eximstats-html

Author: V. T. Mueller
To: Mark Baker
CC: eml
Subject: Re: [EXIM] eximstats-html
On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Mark Baker wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 12:10:02PM -0000, Paul Walsh wrote:
> > Unfortunately, under Solaris, it has the undesirable effect of setting the
> > hostname to -f !
>
> Oh, I can see that would be a problem. I suspect -f only works on linux (or
> rather, only with the version of hostname that's normally used on linux).
> uname -n also gives the unqualified name. Is there any portable way to get
> the FQDN?

Hostname's behaviour depends on your current effective UID. So the
undesired effect of setting the hostname to anything supplied as a
parameter to hostname only works for root (or another super user with
appropriate priviliges).

The main problem here seems to be the fact that Paul downloaded an
unknown, unverified script from the net and executed it as super user.

>     laphroaig:~>hostname
>     laphroaig
>     laphroaig:~>hostname -f
>     laphroaig.castle
>     laphroaig:~>uname -n
>     laphroaig

Shall 'laphroaig.castle' be a fqdn???
Anyways. I can only tell what I know from HP-UX where it generally is no
good idea to have the anything but the fqdn set as the host's name.

Regards,
Volker
  Volker T. Mueller      Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet  Freiburg im Breisgau
  Student der Informatik    vtmue@???  +49 761 355-03 -80(fax)

          "Wer unter euch meint, weise zu sein in dieser Welt,
          der werde ein Narr, daß er weise werde."  1.Kor 3,18