Re: [EXIM] Can exim rewrite Return-receipt headers?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Dave Lewney
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Can exim rewrite Return-receipt headers?
On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Dave Lewney wrote:

> We're currently running Exim v1.92 on our mailhubs. Most of our staff
> are MS Exchange users who are keen on generating Return-receipt headers
> which are of the form <user>@<exchange-machine>.bton.ac.uk . For
> outgoing
> email we need to rewrite this in the same way as we rewrite From fields,
> viz. <A.User>@bton.ac.uk .
>
> Is there any way to do it with Exim - the "h" flag in the rewrite
> section doesn't seem to do it.

Return-receipt is not a standard header. It does not appear in RFC 822
or its (currently being finalised) successor. There have been various
comments on the net to the effect that it is "dead" and "should not be
used". Current thinking is moving towards message notifications that are
handled by user agents rather than by MTAs, I believe.

Having said that, I can see that there might be a reason for wanting to
rewrite non-standard headers that contain lists of addresses. At
present, there is no way to do this in Exim short of writing a transport
filter and doing it by steam.

Of course, if you feel draconian enough, you could just remove the
header altogether by making use of headers_remove somewhere. After all,
there are plenty of MTAs that don't honour it, so your users cannot be
seriously relying on it.