Re: [EXIM] Maybe FAQ... what is the opposite of exim -bpa

Author: Philip Hazel
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Maybe FAQ... what is the opposite of exim -bpa
On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Peter Radcliffe wrote:

> I guess Philip could be asked to write another -b* option that would
> generate the list of addresses and subtract the delivered addresses to
> give remaining addresses, but thats not particularly computationally
> cheap and I wouldn't want it happening normally.

If you run the Exim monitor for long enough, you see the undelivered
addresses in its display. This is because it it watching the log files,
and notices when it sees an == entry for the message.

Otherwise, it wouldn't be too hard to write a script that picks out all
the == lines from the msglog file for the message. However, if your log
level is sufficiently low, there won't be any "retry time not yet
reached" entries. Hmm. I wonder if I should modify Exim so that it pays
attention to the log level in the msglog files only on the second and
subsequent delivery attempts, so you would get *something* written in
there for all addresses the first time. I quite like that idea.

Otherwise, you can get the information by running exim -bt to get all
addresses, and taking away those shown by exim -bpa. I suppose a script
could be written to do this automatically, though it would be messy.