Re: [EXIM] Maybe FAQ... what is the opposite of exim -bpa

Author: Peter Radcliffe
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Maybe FAQ... what is the opposite of exim -bpa
Peter Galbavy <Peter.Galbavy@???> probably said:
> No. I looked and thought that I had *read* the manual. -bpu only
> lists the top level addresses. I want to know the *opposite* of
> -bpa, ie. those >generated< addresses from a top level address
> that are stioll queued.
>
> My question still stands folks,

RTFM some more, then.

] -bpu   This option operates like -bp but shows only undelivered top-level
]        addresses for each message displayed. Addresses generated by aliasing
]        or forwarding are not shown, unless the message was deferred after
]        processing by a director with the one_time option set.

Pay special attention to the bit about one_time, read the docs on one_time.

] 22.4 Repeated alias expansion
]
] When a message cannot be delivered to all of its recipients immediately,
] leading to two or more delivery attempts, alias expansion is carried out
] afresh each time for those addresses whose children were not all previously
] delivered. If an alias is being used as a mailing list, this can lead to new
] members of the list receiving copies of old messages. The one_time option can
] be used to avoid this.

There _is_ no list of generated addresses that are still queued, thats
the point. They are regenerated each time so you can fix alias file
typos, etc, and have it go to the right place.
If you don't want this to happen, use one_time. If you want to see
what deliveries are causing problems for the top level address, read
your logs.

Already delivered addresses can be listed easily because those are
kept track of so people don't get multiple copies from the regenerated
address lists.

I guess Philip could be asked to write another -b* option that would
generate the list of addresses and subtract the delivered addresses to
give remaining addresses, but thats not particularly computationally
cheap and I wouldn't want it happening normally.

P.

--
pir               pir@???      pir@???      pir@???