RE: [EXIM] How to disable the .forward file

Author: James FitzGibbon
To: David Latter
CC: Vadim Vygonets, exim-users
Subject: RE: [EXIM] How to disable the .forward file
On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, David Latter wrote:

> 1: I have read the fine manual and I think it is the best one I have read.
> Philip Hazel & team made a great one
>
> 2: I did look through the FAQ but all reference to .forwards did not help.

You should probably try looking through the table of contents. I'll grant
you that I know the Exim manual quite well, but even so it took all of 45
seconds (reading line by line) to find "The forwardfile director" at this
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-2.00/doc/html/spec_22.html#SEC566

Scanning the table of contents is helpful because it immediately lets you
see the number of child entries a given topic has. This particular entry
has about 30 child entries spread out over two levels, which would be a
pretty good indication as to how much information you're likely to find
there.

Also, your point about looking at the config file and not finding any
references to ".forward". What config file are you looking at ? In every
release of exim that I've ever used (1.8 and up; probably further back as
well) there has been a 'configure.default' file in the src/ subdirectory,
which is a pretty good starting point for people.

That file contains an entire configuration stanza like so:

> # This director handles forwarding using traditional .forward files.
> # If you want it also to allow mail filtering when a forward file
> # starts with the string "# Exim filter", uncomment the "filter" option.
> # The check_ancestor option means that if the forward file generates an
> # address that is an ancestor of the current one, the current one gets
> # passed on instead. This covers the case where A is aliased to B and B
> # has a .forward file pointing to A.

> userforward:
> driver = forwardfile
> file = .forward
> no_verify
> no_expn
> check_ancestor
> # filter

So you see while the other respondant may have been a bit harsher than I,
his points are valid. Nobody on the mailing list is getting paid for
handing out help here. Some of us do offer professional consulting, and
for people who don't want to learn for themselves, that is an option.

When someone asks a question that is adequately explained in the
documentation, it tends to hit a nerve. Take a look at the archive; most
people on this list are very helpful when someone asks a question that
requires some thought or is not "standard". I'm afraid that your question
simply didn't appear as such.

I suggest you go take a look at configure.default and at the URL I
referenced, and if you are still having problems, ask a detailed question
including the relevant portions of your config file, a description of the
behaviour you are attempting to achieve, a description of the behaviour
you are observing, and any error messages that you are getting in the
logs.

Personally, I don't think it will get that far, since the forwardfile
director is laughably simple to get working in Sendmail-compatible mode.

Regards.

--
j.

James FitzGibbon                                                james@???
System Engineer, ACC Global Net                   Voice/Fax (416)207-7171/7610