RE: [EXIM] How to disable the .forward file

Author: David Latter
To: James FitzGibbon
CC: exim-users
Subject: RE: [EXIM] How to disable the .forward file
To one and all I would like to apologise for what was a simple problem. Yes
I should have read the manual and I did do that. For some reason I could not
see what was wrong with the changes we were doing? I didn't just go off and
write a message here asking for free help. Just because I didn't see the
answer as plain as the noes on my face doesn't mean I dint try looking? As
it turned out the .forward file was only part of my problem. I will tell you
what I wanted and how I got there.

We are about to move all out mail onto its own linux server. We want to keep
the same passwd file as the other servers in out network but we didn't want
to have to recreate all the home dirs, just copy the passwd file across so
pop server can authenticate the users for receiving mail. At first the
only problem I could see with exim would be the .forward file in the users
home dirs, as there was only about 20 of these files used to redirect mail I
thought it would be better to just make an alias file instead.

When I looked in the conf file I saw references to .forward and though that
reming out the entry.

#userforward:
# driver = forwardfile
# file = .forward
# no_verify
# no_expn
# check_ancestor
# filter

would be all that was needed but that didn't work and I did not understand
the error I was getting.

I thought I would leave a message in here and stew over the weekend about
it. I was a little upset when I got the message from Vadik and would not
have been so upset if he sent it to me directly but he sent it to this list.

What fixed my problem was to add the line home_directory =
/var/spool/mail/tmphome in the following director.

# This director matches local user mailboxes.

localuser:
driver = localuser
transport = local_delivery
home_directory = /var/spool/mail/tmphome
end

I know people who have been system admins for years now lots lots more then
me and I am very impressed with this list on how quickly message are
answered. I have had answers from Philip on other people very promptly. I
do like the manual but if Vadik had answered me like you did I would have
been fine about it and only felt stupid for not seeing the simple answer and
not hurt for being implied I was and idiot wasting everyones time.

Anyway enough said about this and I will try and find the answer better in
the future and again I am sorry to anyone this question may have upset :(

P.S I have already got e-mail about this problem form other users so it
looks like I am not the only one with this problem.

David Latter