Re: [EXIM] help with 'and' in condition

Author: James FitzGibbon
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] help with 'and' in condition
On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Philip Hazel wrote:

> The line before your quote has
>
> def:<variable>
>
> which I though implied that "def:" has to be followed by a variable.

I guess I was getting confused in thinking that ${lookup ... was a
variable. It's perl's fault for making me think that anything starting
with a dollar sign is a scalar variable!

Your suggested changes should clarify things. Users have to recognize the
difference between a variable and "a string which will be expanded", even
though in many cases they can be used interchangeably. Take for example
these two conditions:

condition = ${if match{$local_part}{^\\d+\$} {0} {1}}
condition = ${lookup ldapauth {$local_part@$domain:forwarding} {0} {1}}

They are both strings which are being expanded (per the "condition"
documentation), but the similarity in syntax can lead one (ok, just me) to
think that a "lookup" is valid where an "if" would be valid.

--
j.

James FitzGibbon                                                james@???
System Engineer, ACC Global Net                   Voice/Fax (416)207-7171/7610