Re: [EXIM] help with 'and' in condition

Author: Philip Hazel
To: James FitzGibbon
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] help with 'and' in condition
On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, James FitzGibbon wrote:

> Ah. The docs for "def" say "This condition is true if the named expansion
> variable does not contain the empty string". You might want to clarify
> that.

The line before your quote has

def:<variable>

which I though implied that "def:" has to be followed by a variable.
Would it be clearer if I explicitly said

"The def: operator must be followed by the name of an expansion
variable?" Or maybe it should be

def:<variable-name>

I'll do both of those. That should make it crystal clear.

> I think that besides the def problem, the extra escaping of the
> backslashes and dollar sign in the regex were giving me problems.

Yes, those are always tricky. What I do it first to write the regex as I
want it, then escape all \ and $ that are within an expansion, then
escape all \ that are inside "".